Friday 29 April 2011

The Royal Wedding


Noone can have avoided that the British prince got married to his Kate today and especially not if you, like me, live in London. Me and David chose not to go into central and get squeezed to death by all the thousands of people who lined the streets. But we did watch the whole thing on TV. The entire four hours. So here comes a few thoughts I had about the wedding:




Things I liked
  • I loved Kate Middleton's dress by Sarah Burton. Like many has commented, it resembles the dress Grace Kelly wore at her wedding. It's very feminine, understated and fitted her beautifully.
  • I also loved the 1936 Cartier 'Halo' tiara that the queen lent to the bride and the hand-embroided veil.
  • The bouquet is simple and gorgeous.
  • The prince looked good in his uniform.
  • The flower girls and page boys were darling.
  • Kate's sister and bridesmaid Pippa looked beautiful in a white dress.
  • I also liked the trees in the chapel.
  • And the trumpets.
  • That you could see how much they loved each other and that William was holding back tears at the ceremony.
  • The TWO kisses on the balcony. Awwww...
  • The military flights flying over the balcony (Only cause they then flew over out garden and we saw them live, thus reminding us that we were not far away from the whole thing).

Things I didn't like
  • "You will get married in the fear of god". Jesus Christ (no pun intended), I didn't realise that not only were church weddings full of talk about god (obviously), but that they were absolutely full of preaching about fear, sin and obedience. Isn't this suppose to be a happy and joyful occasion? I am getting happier and happier about our choice to get married in a civil ceremony.
  • I wasn't a fan of the song selection in church. Although it was quite funny when they sang 'God save the queen' and the queen just stood there. And were was the wedding march? I like the traditional wedding march...
  • The Sand on the roads between the Abbey and Buckingham Palace. Filling in potholes? Not very glamourous.
  • Ceremony was a bit long.

No comments:

Post a Comment