Thursday 14 April 2011

Review of Wedding TV Shows

There are a lot of Wedding themed shows on TV and I was watching these way
before I started planning my own wedding. S
ome I have watched complete series of, others which I have only caught an episode or two of. I thought I'd list the ones I can remember and give my opinion on each of them. It's just a bit of fun and hopefully you will find a new wedding show to inspire you!


Bridezillas
(showing on American *5)

This is by far the worst of the shows. It's clear that the couples featured shouldn't be thinking of getting married. They barely seem to like each other most of the time. The Bridezillas are horrible people who spend the entire hour shouting at their fiancés, bridesmaids and anyone who happens to be around. My prediction is that most of the marriages from this show will end in divorce. My least favourite show by far.


Don't Tell The Bride (Showing on BBC)

From the worst show, to the best. I love this program and have watched multiple series. The couple gets £12,000 and with that money the groom must chose and plan every detail of the wedding. The bride has no knowledge of anything until the wedding day. I love that you get to see the planning process and not just the end result. I love how most grooms exceeds the expectations and deliver amazing weddings. Good production value. Good show.


Four Weddings (Showing on SkyLiving)

The idea of this show is for four brides to attend and critique each others weddings. They then score the dress, venues, food and over all experience. The one who scores the highest wins a honeymoon. At the moment I just find this show offensive. Weddings are individual. What is perfect for one couple might be disaster for another. I'm sure people would find numerous things to dislike about what I have planned for my wedding, but the only people whose opinion really matters are those getting wed.


Vårt bröllop i era händer (Showing on TV3)

I like this show as it is currently the only wedding show on Swedish TV. As we are getting married in Sweden, this is a great source of inspiration. Each couple hands their budget (which they have decided on and saved up themselves) over to a couple of professional wedding planners. The couple's friends and family then plans the entire wedding together with the flamboyant wedding planners, while the bride and groom is kept in the dark. It's interesting to see what you can do with different budgets and the end result is always extravagant.


Nice Day for a Greek Wedding (Showing on Watch)

I have only watched this show once or twice, but as far as I can gather it's about foreign couples flying to greek and planning their weddings there together with wedding planners. A bit slow and dull. Not my favourites show. However, it is nice to see a show about weddings abroad as that is an option that more and more couple decide on. I wouldn't mind a wedding in the sun!




My Big Fat gypsy Wedding (Showing on Channel 4)

This show is all about the gypsy lifestyle. The girls marry very young with the brides in the show being as young as 15 year old. The dresses are extreme in every way; huge, pink, heavy, princess like monstrosities. A lot of the gypsies are very chavy and I know David hates this show, but I find it entertaining. It's just something completely different.




Wedding SOS (Showing on Sky Real Lives)

The couple getting married gets their own fairy godmother who grants them three wishes. When something goes wrong in the planning she'll come along, wave her magic wand and make the problem go away. I have watched this a few times, but finds it quite boring. You never really get to know the couple enough. I don't find it fun to watch.




Bridal Plasty (Showing on SkyLiving)

By far the most extreme show is, as one might guess, from the states. In this show a group of brides compete against each other to win plastic surgery to transform them into the 'ultimate' bride. In all honesty I only caught the very first episode and the finale of this show. Watching this makes me feel a bit like an air-head because I hate everything it stands for. The person you are marrying is the one, above all, who will love you for the one you are. No matter how you look. It's clear these brides needs a huge dose of self-esteem. I would have recommended them to exercise and have therapy rather than go under the knife. All that said, it's because it's so extreme that I watched it in the first place. It's the kind of show I have a love-hate realationship with.

No comments:

Post a Comment