Tuesday 1 March 2011

My 1st day of Wedding dress shopping

Last Thursday was an amazing day. It was the first time I got to try on wedding dresses and for the first time it all felt real. My mum, sister and my friend had come over from Sweden and came with me to the bridal shops.

Our first stop was Browns Bride on 12 Hinde Street, London. Exquisite store, with amazing bridal wear. We were greeted by the lovely lady who was going to serve me. Unfortunately I can remember her name, but she was the perfect attendant. Made us feel very comfortable and not a hint of pushiness. We were taken to one of several private changing rooms, where I had my own massive mirror and my family could sit comfortably in a designer sofa sipping complementary pink champagne. I was given a glass of champagne as well, but I was scared to death about spilling any of it on any of the dresses, so I didn't end up having more than a mouthful. I tried on somewhere between 5 and 10 dresses. The attendant was happy bringing me any dress I wanted as well as a selection of veils. I tried on an amazing dress by Carolina Herrera for staggering £8000+. It was absolutely gorgeous and probably my second or third favourite. My family however, thought it ate me up, drawing all eyes to the dress and not to me. In the end I absolutely feel in love with a dress by Delphine Manivet for £4300. Well over my budget, but maybe it's possible to find something similar but cheaper? Or even ask someone to make me a copy? I also loved a veil by Tony Federicci for £960 that my attendant match to the dress. I left the store feeling giggly and very bridal.

The next stop was HoF's Bridal Room. Completely different experience. It's one big room with all the dressing rooms next to each other, so there is zero privacy. Two big mirrors, although the lighting above one of them was broken, so all the four brides that were there flocked to the same mirror. The dresses were of a lot poorer quality, but what can you expect for prices ten times less?? They were also a bit worn out and some had makeup stains and were discoloured from hanging in the light for such a long time. I tried on five or six dresses here. Found it hard to find dresses I really liked. In the end I had three dresses I liked by Tom Flowers, Augusta jones and Rosetta Nicoloni, the last one being my favourite. Prices between £1299 and £1849.

Shopping for a wedding dress is a tricky thing. There needs to be a balance between what makes you feel beautiful and exclusive and what price you are willing to pay. I think £1200 for a wedding dress is still pretty steep. My dream budget would be under £500.

After a quick search online, I've found several of HoF's Bridal Room dresses on second hand sale. That is definitely an option. But it's early days. We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment