Monday 28 March 2011

Ideas for vegetarian buffet

I found this question and answer on Cheap Wedding Success. It's important for me as a pescetarian (i.e a vegetarian who eats fish and seafood) that we have a wedding buffet that I can truly enjoy. I don't mind if there are a few plates of grilled/other style of meat to cater for my fiancé and the guests, but I want to be able to eat most of the food we end up serving. I thought this was a great answer and I wanted to remember it for future reference. After all this blog is my electronic wedding scrapbook where I keep all the things that inspires me. As for the suggestions below I love all the Mediterranean themed ones, but think she should have mentioned vegetarian Dolmades.


Vegetarian Buffet Question:

My fiancé wants us to make a cold vegetarian buffet (with no fish) for our 100 guests in a marquee, but I don't know what to put on it! All I can think of is quiche and that could get a bit boring after a while (and for the month after when I make my family eat the leftovers!).

Help!

Jo xxx


Answer:

Hi Jo

There are loads of great foods that you can use on a cold buffet that suit vegetarians. First off, you could include plenty of different styles of salads. With the salads consider different textures, flavours and colours as these will all make the buffet table look interesting and varied. I used a bean salad, pasta salad, rice salad and a green salad and these worked well for me when mixed with my other items.

Other than salads and quiche, you could include the following:

- Indian snacks such as bhajis and samosas
- Thai vegetable parcels and spring rolls
- Filo parcels with feta and spinach or goats cheese and brocolli
- Vegetarian pizza or brushetta
- Vegetarian tarts such as goats cheese and carmelised onion or roast pepper and onion
- Sandwiches – egg, cheese, humous
- Tortilla wraps
- Bagels with various fillings
- Feta, olives and tomatoes
- Blinis with cream cheese and olive tapenade
- Vegetable kebabs on skewers
- Mozzerella and cherry tomatoes on cocktail sticks
- Crudities with dips including humous, pesto, tzatsiki (you could also offer pitas)
- Selection of cheeses
- Crisps and other small snacks

Then fill up your guests with pasta, cous cous, potatoes or bread.

By the way, by suggesting the above, I’m not recommending you serve all of them! Pick what you fancy or create a theme (i.e. Mediterranean or Moroccan).

Enjoy!


Nicola

1 comment: